The Poker Frog

An online discussion blog about the semi-regular Texas Hold'em Tournament and its coveted prize trophy

Sunday, June 05, 2005

The Raise Rule

Ok I am opening this thread to discuss the raise rule entirely. Here is what I originally posted:

I am not sure this is a voting thing or part of the enforcement powers of the commissioner but I would like to think about enforcing the normal rules concerning raises in poker. The standard rule adhered to by every poker body is simply this: raises must be equalt to at least the previous bet. For example, if there is a bet of $100 on the table, you would have to raise by no less then $100, making a total bet of $200. A reraise would then have to be no less then $200 more dollars totalling $400.

The reason for this is at both simple and complex. The simple reason is to keep from long drawn out minimum increment raises. It keeps the game flow going.The second reason is for bet strategy. Betting certain large dollar figures knowing your opponent, to raise would have to either go all in or have to risk a good portion of their stack. It is beneficial to both Big stack and short stack at the table.

2 Comments:

At 10:50 PM, Blogger Dustin M. Czarny said...

Here is Greg's original comment on this:

But to avoid confusion - My previous post is in reference to the point system. I will never be in favor of the latter rule issue posted just before mine (must have been posted while I was typing my own comment, as I didn't see it). If it is put up as a voting issue, I will vote against it; if it is just ruled on, I will grumble mercilously (I feel it needs to be the former, as it is not, in fact, amongst the current rules we are using, and therefore by simple definition of the term, it is a rules change). Of course, I'm also completely aware that it's another hopeless battle for which I'm in the vast minority, so my opposition will be limited to my vote if it ever comes to that; please offer respect in kind, by not bothering to argue with me (I am dead-set-stubborn-will-ne'er-agree against it, and you'll only frustrate yourself... heh heh).

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Dustin M. Czarny said...

And here is my original response to that:

I am going to open up another thread regarding the raise rule. I am also going to get some documentation before I make any decisions. If this is an optional rule, menat to be changed in any game I will put it up for a vote. If this is part of what is considered "poker ettiquette" then we will continue discussion. if it is a hard rule for Texas Hold em poker, such as 2 cards in hand and 3 on the flop etc etc. then I am not sure we got a choice.

In any case NOTHING will be done about it in the near future. I want to research it a little more. and since the raising less then the original bet amount is not a large problem I am in no hurry.

Now we can discuss the raise Rule here. One of the sources I am looking to is www.homepokertourney.com but I have not begun to search for this particular rule. As I said before I am in no hurry to do this But I do think we should discuss it and make a decision before Season 2 begins.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home