The Poker Frog

An online discussion blog about the semi-regular Texas Hold'em Tournament and its coveted prize trophy

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Season 2 Proposal Results

The official voting Results:

Proposal 1 Alteration to Season Standing proposal by Dustin M. Czarny 4 yea votes, 2 nay votes Passes must go to run off vote*

Proposal 2 Alteration to Grand Championship Qualifier by Dustin M. Czarny 6 yea votes Passes Enacted with qualification**

Proposal 3 Alteration to Total Chip Amount for Tournaments by Dustin M. Czarny 6 yea votes Passed and will be enacted at next Regular Season Tournament

Proposal 4 Alteration to Season Standing by Pam Hipius 6 yea votes Passes must go to run off vote*

Proposal 5 Alteration to Annual Trophy Names 6 yea votes Passed and enacted immediately

Proposal 6 Alteration to Season Standing by Mark Holt 4 yea votes 2 nay votes Passed and must go to run off vote*

*Since 3 Season Standings proposals passed all three must got to a run off vote. The old rule is automatically discarded. One of these rules will replace the old rule. If no proposal garners 4 or more votes the proposal with the lowest vote total will be discarded and another vote will occur. If the vote is equally deadlocked then a draw of highcard at the next regular season poker frog tournament or at some other point will determine the winner. The card will be drawn by the proposers.

**One of the Season Standings proposals requires the Committee to determine a number of places at the final table and have the top number Regular Season Standings proposals qualify. Since this is in direct contradiction with this current proosal we must wait until the determination of the Regular Season standings proposals. This rule will stand unless that proposal is passed. Then we will have to vote on the number of seats allowed.

I will open a voting thread on all three proposals on Monday June 27, 2005 at 12:00 am . Votes will be due by Wednesday June 29 at 11:59 p.m. In the meantime you can discuss the proposals pros and cons in this thread.

3 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger Dustin M. Czarny said...

Technically since there was unanimous support for the proposal it should be considered with the other 2. However since tha author of the proposal is withdrawing it, I say we allow it.

Therefore unless there is an objection we will consider this proposal rescinded and the run off vote will be between Mark and my proposal.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Dustin M. Czarny said...

I want to congratulate all of you on your play last night and thank you for helping conclude what I think is a succesful party and season. As we go onto season 2 with the experiences of the party behind us I have come to the conclusion that neither Mark or my proposal fo r the season standings will actually help us in the next go arouynd. This comes up because I think Greg Holtham's feelings were hurt and I want to come up with a system that is more inclusive for the actual Party at the end and also fair for the Regular Season standings.

So in this light I offer a compromise between Mark and my proposals that I think will benefit all people and keep this uncomplicated and keep people feelings from getting hurt. However the proposals are in the field and the rules call for them to be voted on. So unless there is unanmous consent to my compromise offer we will continue with the vote as scheduled.

So here is my Compromise

One of the flaws I found in Mark's system is that people who consistenly go out early will get points. This will force me to keep a list with the same people at the bottom. People like Loie, Karen, and others who only come to have fun will be on the website at the bottom of a list for a good 12 months. It is unfair to them. It also rewards people with points just for playing. Ironicvally Mark and Maria will be hurt by this the most since they often have ACME commitments and will not make some tournaments. However one of the flaws I have found with my system is perhaps it is too constrictive and does not award enough people. Another flaw is that it restricts access to the final tournament which I believe should be open to all

So I propose we take Mark's basic system where each tournament has a point system based on the number of players with a small alteration. I ask that you take the number of players and divide it in half (rounding up). That point will go to the winner. You will subtract 1 point for every place down from the winner until you run out of points.

Thus for a 9 or 10 person tournament you would award 5 points, 2nd place 4 and so on and so forth. A 7 or 8 4 points to the winner and 3 to 2nd and so on and so forth.

This way finishing in the top half of the field is rewarded while finishing last is not. Winners will still get the Hall of Champions accolade so that will keep winning special. And those that come to have fun and drop out early will not be shamed on the website.

One last addition to my proposal. I think that we should allow all players who have participated in 3 monthly tournaments to play for the championship. This will make the championship more inclusive without opening it up to ine time wonders making the table.

This is a little more complicated then I would like it, but since the onus will be on me to run it I accept it. I hope that the committee will accept this compromise in the spirit that it is offered. I had alot of fun yesterday but my win was tainted by the feeling that a good friend in Greg Holtham decided not to come partly based on his exclusion. I also don't want to creat a situation where those wanting to come for fun are worried about being "ranked" last.

I will hold the vote for 24 hours for the committee to weigh this compromise. IF you like it please email your acceptance. If not the vote between Mark and my proposal will take place Tuesday at 12 am and voting will remain open until Thursday at 11:59 p.m.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Dustin M. Czarny said...

Heather had a suggestion as well that perhaps instead of putting up full standings for the season standings that I could put up the top 5 and keep a spreadhseet with the full totals on it. Which I could do as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home